There’s still plenty of time to seed your lawn this month is you haven’t already, in fact the cooler temperatures in October will allow you to water less frequently.
- Ken Matthews Blend Fescue Seed is a custom fescue blend based on the recommendations from Virginia Tech and is blended especially for the Hampton Roads area.
- Annual Winter Rye to over-seed warm season lawns like Bermuda, Zoysia or Centipede.
- Jonathan Green New Seeding Fertilizer is the perfect choice for newly seeded lawns and can be put down the same day as grass seed.
- Jonathan Green GreenUp for established lawns or for lawns that were seeded at least 30 days ago.
Insect & Disease Control
Continue keeping an eye out for any insect and fungal problems on your plants.
- Neem Oil. Because it’s Organic, Neem Oil is perfect for control disease and insects on your veggies, herbs and fruits.
- Rose Shield to protect your plants against fungus, insects and mites. Best used on ornamental trees, shrubs and perennials.
- Copper Fungicide to quickly control fungal diseases like powdery mildew, rust, leaf curl and more.
- Rose Rx, a systemic control that protects plants for up to 6 weeks, meaning you spend less time spraying!
- Eight Insecticide to control multiple types of insects.
Get your beds ready for fall planting!
- Lobster Compost to add organic matter and amend clay or sandy soils.
- Preen to prevent weeds in your garden beds so you aren’t spending your summer hand-pulling them out later.
- Mulch your garden beds and around trees and shrubs. Not only does mulch make your garden look tidier, it also acts as a layer of insulation, keeping root systems and dormant bulbs toasty during winter.
Remember to thoroughly read your label to know how often you need to fertilize.
- Fertilome Tree & Shrub Fertilizer is a great all-purpose fertilizer for all trees and shrubs.
- HollyTone for the feeding of acid loving trees and shrubs.
- Dr Earth Life All Purpose Fertilizer for all your plant needs.
- Dr Earth Homegrown Vegetable Fertilizer, formulated for vegetable and herbs to encourage healthy plants and large yields.
- Dr Earth Total Advantage Rose & Flower Fertilizer for all flowering shrubs, perennials and annuals.
- Dynamite Slow-Release Fertilizer for Flowers and Veggies. Use once when you plant and then sit back and relax, Dynamite will fertilize for up to 9 months!
As fall sets in, the amount of care your pond needs will decrease.
- Microbe Lift adds beneficial bacteria to improve the conditions of your pond by removing pollutants.
- Spring & Fall Fish Food once your pond’s water temperatures drop below 60°. Remember to stop feeding entirely once water temperatures drop below 50°.
- Netting keeps falling leaves and other debris out of your pond over winter, resulting in less spring clean-up for you!
While these products are useful year-round, you may notice more hungry critters feasting on your plants than normal as their other food sources begin to go dormant.
- Liquid Fence can be sprayed directly onto your plants to protect them from hungry deer and rabbits.
- Deer Scram creates a powerful barrier around your plants to protect them from deer.
- Repels All is an excellent all-purpose repellant if your critter problems go beyond the standard deer and rabbits.
- Hot Pepper Wax is a spicy, natural alternative to repels all and is safe to use on veggies and herbs (but make sure you rinse off your edibles before you eat them, or you’re in for a spicy surprise!)
- Mole Max drives away moles, voles and other ground dwelling rodents naturally.
- Raised Bed Soil for new and existing raised beds. It works great in containers too.
- Potting Soil for indoor containers, outdoor containers and hanging baskets.
- Root Stimulant to encourage new root development and to prevent transplant shock in new plantings.
- Vole Bags to use around the root ball of new plantings to prevent hungry voles from munching the root systems of new plants.
- Birdseed & Suet to start filling your feeders for fall and winter birds.