Warm Season Lawncare Calendar
A month-by-month guide on how to keep your warm season grass (Bermuda, Zoysia, Centipede and St. Augustine ) healthy and looking it’s best year round.
- March – Apply Jonathan Green Crabgrass Preventer as soon as ground temperatures reach 50°F.
- April – Do a quick soil and/or pH test and apply Mag-I-Cal or lime if needed. Watch for fungus and disease problems, apply Bonide Infuse Fungicide as soon as you notice problems. Kill broadleaf weeds with Jonathan Green Lawn Weed Control or Bonide Weed Beater Ultra.
- May – Once soil temperatures are between 65° and 75°F, warm season grasses can be planted via seeding, sprigging or sodding. Apply Jonathan Green New Seeding Fertilizer before seeding. If you are not seeding this year, after grass has broken its dormancy, apply Johnathan Green Green-Up fertilizer instead.
- June/July – Apply broadleaf weed control application if you did not apply one in spring ( Jonathan Green Lawn Weed Control or Bonide Weed Beater Ultra). Do not use a weed control if you are planning to seed, sprig or lay sod within 4 weeks of application. Fertilization and new lawn establishment should be done by July 15.
- August/September – Apply Jonathan Green Crabgrass Preventer to control winter weeds such as henbit, annual bluegrass and crabgrass. Skip this step if you are planning to over-seed with annual rye grass.
- October – Over-seed with a winter or annual rye grass if desired.
- November Thru February – Warm season lawns are in their dormant phase and require little maintenance during this time. You can apply a broadleaf control if need when temperatures are above 50°.